Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: My gallery, OFF ON A SMALL RANT
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 15:04:07 -0500

>>>Nice photograph. But the white papers in the foreground keeps capturing
 >>>my attention. If they weren't there, "dad" would be, and should be,
the
>>>center of attention.
>>>
>>>Jim
>>>
>>Hey Jim!
>>I thought you didn't comment on picture posts?
>>The papers just make it look real and totally unposed to me.
>>;)
>>Henry
>

>Henry... while looking at the photograph, on your screen, place your hand
>over the white papers. These papers don't say "posed" or "unposed". They
>just say "distraction." Distraction from the real reason for the
>photograph. I don't want to keep looking at the papers. I want to see
>everything about "dad" but my eyes keep being distracted. Cover up the
>papers and the distraction disappears.
>
>Jim
>
>ps... I don't.
楽es, you do

You are right! It would be a better photo without the papers.

You are also right that they don't say "posed" or "unposed"
Thats from my interpretation of the picture. The papers are just there,
which is no bad thing. (except they ruin the visual perfection - if it
had been a "real" advertising photo they would not be there would they?)

Maybe thats why anyone would make a picture like we are discussing.
Because it looks REAL. Its about emotion, humanity, family. I'd like a
nice photo like that of my Dad. Who wouldn't?

As I said in the first place, its a cool picture.
It evoked a positive emotional response from me. (still does)

At least we are talking about photos!

What would you choose as the proper way to discuss LUG posted photos?
Any suggestions?

I think there is lots of room in the world for less than perfect photos.
And not because the photographer is lazy or unskilled. Not an excuse for
sloth.
Simply not needlessly judging someones work.

How about this -
A good picture of your Mom (spouse, child, dog) is worth more than the
cover photo of some starlet on whatever glossy magazine.

The magazine can be gone forever - tossed in the trash. Who cares!

Are you gonna toss that great picture of your daughter when she was a
baby?
Heck no.

Henry
ps: