Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] Medium format camera for a Leica user?
From: ShadCat11@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 15:51:40 EDT

<<> "Eternally fiddling around" is what fiddler and photographers do.  If you
are
> at all serious about art and craft, you never stop fiddling (except to take
> real photographs once in a while.)  I'll bet most practitioners of most arts
> spend far more time fiddling than performing.

If you are an artist/performer, the "fiddling around" *is* performing your
art.  The same is not true of most male hobbies involving expensive
equipment.>>

If the "fiddler" is an artist/performer, then apparently we agree.  If a
hobbyist, he (a male, of course) would be on his own leisure time,
accountable only to himself, "fiddling" or not as he pleases and not a
subject for evaluation.

  <<Besides, "fiddling around" has connotations of doing something
without your brain really engaged, or not doing it properly -- just mucking
about.>>

At a certain level of art/craft, work/play can be play/work.  Many artists
refer in casual language to activities they take most seriously.  And
sometimes they just like "mucking about," too.   Don't you?

Allen Zak