Subject: Re: [Leica] R series
From: "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:33:24 +0100

Dan

I agree the lens feels a bit plasticky but then lightweight lenses are fine
with me when lugging kit around.  However, the quality is superb, as one
would expect with Zeiss lenses.  The metering is accurate, or as accurate as
any metering ever is, but I do suggest you try the camera for a while.  It
is so intuitive to use that you very quickly become accustomed to it and
then forget about it and concentrate on the task of recording images,
probably much as many R8 users feel.

I agree about the focussing screen although there are other screens
available.  However, I have the diopter adjusted and in normal light I can
manual focus well.  In low light it doesn't match the M6 for focussing, but
then the AF gets it spot on.

Simon

Dan Honemann wrote on the N1:

> Simon,
> >
> I'm happy to hear a good report on this camera.  I was tempted by it, but
> when I checked it out at the camera store, I had much the same reaction
Mark
> Rabiner had: uninspired.  The AF lenses have the same plasticy feel and
> short focus throw as all other AF lenses, and there just isn't enough
> contrast on the focus screen for me to discern accurate focus manually.
The