Subject: [Leica] suggestions for being hopelessly behind
From: "Birkey" <dbirkey@uio.telconet.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:40:15 -0500

Holy cow Tina.... that's a lot of work...

Every so often when I get behind, I decide to:

1) Not turn the computer on... no LUG, no LEG no e-mail or web surfing...
2) Not turn the radio on or even listen to a CD.
3) Not answer the phone.
4) Not do anything else until I get stuff sorted and filed.
5) Stay in my office all evening or on a Saturday when no one is around.

The key to completing any large project is to not be overwhelmed by looking
at the amount of work to be done.... just keep whittling away at it.

I would make it a point to commit to editing, mounting and filing absolutely
everything from today onward and work on the old stuff when you get a
chance.... ( I hide it a couple of drawers : ) or rough sort into 3 ring
binders by trip etc... Don't let the problem get any bigger!!!

Personally, I have a hard time going out and shooting personal work when I
have a ton of stuff undone around my office....  I have this nagging feeling
that follows me around saying...  ahhhh Duane, you know you really should be
working on images for the new Hospital brochure..... and Curt is still
waiting to see the images from Riobamba..... etc.etc.  It's not much fun and
I don't really feel free to shoot creatively...

And I find a disorganized office with dozens of sheets of negatives (with no
contacts.... I hate doing contacts) and pages of a wide variety of slides I
made internegs or duplicates from that need to be resorted and filed back
where they belong really oppressive and I hate wasting a lot of time looking
for images....

Photoshop is plain evil and digital imaging is a curse...... Once you get
into shooting or scanning digital images along with film ones...... the
problem multiplies exponentially as your hard drives fill up and you have
CD's all over the place....

I find I shoot a lot more digitally as another frame...... is well....
free.... and you're there.... so why not???

I spent over a month getting my digital images organized.... and I'm not
going to let that get out of hand again!.....  Speaking of which.... I've
3.2 gig of e-images I need to burn and add to the catalog.

Anyhow... Not that you asked for advice.....  But it is how I deal with it

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio, Quito Ecuador
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador:
http://ecuadorphotos.tripod.com