Subject: [Leica] A nice Leica story. :-)
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 20:59:30 -0700

Hi guys & Gals,

Today I gave a slide presentation to a small group of high school kids
interested in photojournalism and becoming a photojournalist. They were well
informed on the history of photojournalism and knew of the Leica camera
in relation to photojournalism..

Much to my surprise, they knew the names and work of many of the great's.
But what really surprised me was their questions about the "Leica" and it's
relationship with the famous photojournalists, Capa, HCB, Eisenstaedt,
Salagado,  as well as others.

Heck, one kid asked if I'd used Leica to shoot my book on the medical
profession!  And that was a real surprise. ;-)   However, I think the
kid was a plant by the teacher. ;-)

"What is so special that a photojournalist would want to use a Leica?"  "Why
did they use the Leica camera and not others?"   "Is it so good over all the
others ?"  "Why wouldn't they use a Canon with autofocus and exposure, when
they could photograph the scene without any thought for technicalities?"

So you can see it was an interesting group. I held my own and explained as
best I  could,  while letting them handle and play with my M6's.

I had one M6 without a RapidWinder, on purpose, and it was interesting the
comments about how quickly they felt they could shoot with the RapidWinder
and wondered why every Leica shooter didn't have this mechanism on their
Leica's!

So Tom A. you do have a future after all ! ;-)

They were concerned about the cost... but were not deterred, that if the
Leica would help them be good photojournalists, they could live with the
cost! Surprise!

They questioned the colour... B&W relationship to emotional pictures and
asked what really made the difference between colour and black & white when
it came to everyday life here and abroad?  Would the people in third world
countries act in the same manner as say,  Americans & Canadians to the same
atrocity pictures?

One boy just wanted to be able to say, "He held a Leica!" And was completely
sincere in his feelings and request,  that he could handle one of my Leica
M6's. This kid was almost "reverent" in his voice and how he took the camera
in hand.

But this lad wasn't alone, certainly as we read how some on this list re-act
to their
toys! ;-)

A nice moment with teenagers that wasn't the "violence thing" we read so
often. Hopefully I influenced them to be photographers and enjoy a
profession for life.

So there you go eh? Kids wanting to know about Leica's,. M6, and me having
to explain the why's!  They were very good as they took my answers at face
value,  my very good fortune! ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant