Subject: Re: [Leica] A Repost From 1997 -- DR Summicron
From: Rob McElroy <idag@pce.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:46:49 -0400

Marc James Small wrote:

MJS NOTE:  It is my understanding that the eyes for each version of the DR
lens are not interchangeable.  I believe the early eyes all had the polygon
surrounding the Leitz name, while later eyes are simply engraved with the
Leitz name without a surround.

Marc,

My early DR 5cm Summicron, serial #1512472 (earlier than yours), marked only in meters with engraved reproduction ratios, came with the close range
eyes simply engraved "Leitz Wetzlar" with no polygon or surround of any kind.  The eyes work fine with the lens, and I purchased the lens, eyes, M2,
M4, various lenses and accessories from the original owner's widow.  I am assuming the lens and eyes were purchased at the same time and have no
reason to believe otherwise..

So, the theory of the early DR's having the polygon surrounding the eyes - might be true for some, but not all of the early DR's.

Cheers,
Rob McElroy
Buffalo, NY