Subject: Re: [Leica] Hopelessly Behind
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:30:02 -0400

on 4/11/01 1:19 PM, Tina Manley at images@InfoAve.Net wrote:

> I was feeling overwhelmed this morning so I decided to waste a couple of
> hours counting all of the rolls of film that I have developed but not
> edited or filed.  The grand total is 2158 rolls.  At 36 exposures per roll
> that is 77,688 frames to edit, mount, and file.  (All made with
> Leicas)   Has anybody been this far behind?

Gary Winogrand... he was up to 5000 rolls at the time of his death...

> Have you ever thought of not
> taking any more personal photographs until you get caught up?  The only
> photos that are getting processed are the ones that have been assigned or
> are due somewhere.  Maybe I have Spring Fever.  Has anybody got 5 years
> they could lend me?

If you looked very quickly at 100 rolls a day -- I mean really glancing,
just looking for wonderful, exceptional pictures -- with the intention of
picking one photograph per 10 rolls, you would be done in 3 weeks and you
would have 200 photos to scan. Not insuperable!! Let's say you just did 1
hour a day in the evenings. In bed! You'd have 36 seconds to zip through
each roll. I think that's plenty! Do it with a glass or two of wine by your
side and you'll be cooking with gas.

Never stop taking pictures! Let your executors do the editing if necessary.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com