Subject: Re: [Leica] Neopan 400
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:11:18 -0700

Disfromage@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/11/01 9:27:35 AM, you wrote:
>
> <<I gleefully ignore that advice from Kodak, Guna!
> The only time i use a stronger dilution is with Delta 3200 which i run 1:1.
>
> The only advantage to following this 100 ml per roll advice is if you are just
> as likely to put one roll in a tank as several and don't want to compute
> different times for the different situations.
> I've had no problem compensating for that.>>
>
> Mark and Guna,
> I have to disagree with Mark on this as it relates to Neopan films.  I have
> found that if I don't use 200ml of stock Xtol per roll my film is
> underdeveloped, sometimes to the point of being so thin I can't print it.
> Agfa films for some reason seem to need much more developer to work properly.
>  They are the reason I broke down and bought a 2500 series drum and plastic
> reels (sob!) for my JOBO.
> Regards,
> Richard Wasserman

I have to disagree with Richard having disagreed with Mark! (me being Mark):

Richard were these thin negs not made thicker by running the next batch with
more time?
This had always been the case for me which indicated that I am developing with
active developer;
not developer which is critically near exhaustion or exhausted.

When that's the case more time does not give you more contrast, more snappy
density; it just adds fog.
Diachronic fog which you'll see also around your sprocket holes.

So far for me it is only Delta 3200 exhausting Xtol at a rate feared by Kodak.
Neopan 1600 I've done fine with at 1:3 in metal tanks.
62.5 per liter per 35mm film instead of 100!
I've even rolled one or two reels back to back so I'm doing 6 rolls in a 4 roll tank!
That's about half!
Tanks anyway!

Mark Rabiner
to be continued....