Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicoid Digital.....
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <joseph@yao.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:49:31 +0800

on 11/4/01 1:36 AM, Pascal at cyberdog@attglobal.net wrote:

> but that Novoflex Leica R to Canon EOS adaptor only allows metering with
> stopping-down method (working diafragm). The D30 viewfinder is already
> dim compared to the Nikon D1. How dim can it get with the Novoflex/Leica
> R combination ? In my view not a very practical solution.

What I tend to do is to focus with the lens wide open and stopping down to
the selected aperture just before squeezing the shutter release.  In fact,
most of the time I shoot with the lens wide open.

I actually find the screen of the D30 quite bright.

> Also, you seem very pessimistic about us seeing one day a digital Leica R
> body "advanced or affordable enough" (by usual Leica standards, I take
> it)...

Is there any good reason for me to be optimistic?  I have always regarded
Leica as great masters in optics and mechanical designs, but quite
substandard with their electronics.  And they are also a company that had to
rely on Fuji to supply re-badged digital cameras.  Please do not get me
wrong, I do not mind if Leica never bring out a digital M or SLR, I can
always use my Canon D30 or whatever.  Leica make great lenses and mechanical
bodies and I am just very grateful for whatever they are offering us now.
However, I do hope they will never play that "too expensive to manufacture
hence we have discontinued it..." game again.

Bests,

Joseph