Subject: Re: [Leica] Photoshop help
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 10 Apr 2001 08:09:02 -0700

On Tue, 10 April 2001, "Jason Hall" wrote:

> I tried saving at 72 dpi, no difference.  The problem is not
> photoshop, in photoshop they display ok, the problem only crops up
> when I view the pics in an alternative image editor, or sometimes as a
> web page.  I cant understand why they often look ok attached to an
> email, then the artifacts crop up if I open them in micrsoft photo
> editor!  Im left with no idea how it will look on the monitor of the
> person Im sending it to!
>
> 14" monitor set to 16 bit hi colour 800x600, doesnt my browser use the
> same setting?
>
> I just tried saving a photo of someone elses from the web that
> displayed perfectly in my browser, when I tried to open it up in PS I
> got a dialogue box claiming the embedded greyscales/gamma were
> different to my default and asking me to convert, I converted it and
> it still looked fine, I then opened it in Photo Editor and the
> artefacts were back!
>
> One of my own pics 800x600 saved at 7 gives me a file of 95k which is
> acceptable I spose, but its still displaying the wavey lines in the
> large highlights!  Ill stick to a minimum of 7 in future and I guess
> Ill just have to accept that its a fact of life with some pics.
>
> I find the whole digital thing completely frustrating!
>
> Thanks for the suggestions
>
> Jason

Jason, are you editing and re-saving image files that had been previously saved as jpg files?  If so your artifacts will multiply.  My work-in-progress is always saved as photoshop files, jpg is only for output to web.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe