Subject: Re: [Leica] New 50mm Elmar
From: "Dan States" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 02:30:26 -0000

I recently purchased a new Elmar M 50 while visiting Leica in Germany.  I
was looking for a small, light, flare resistant lens and this one is
outstanding.

I also own a Summicron that is about 15 years old and frankly I find the
Elmar an easier lens to print in black and white.  Shadow detail is
outstanding and I have found far less back light flare than with my
Summicron.

The performance at full aperture is good, with high contrast across the
frame.  When  I stop down to 3.5 or lower it really becomes outstanding.

All this said if you are one to get your shorts in a bundle over "bokeh"
this lens is not as nice in that department as the Summicron.

What really put me over the top on this lens was the price.  It is MUCH
lower in Europe (around 664 euros) compared to the price in the US, which is
almost the same as the Summicron.

By the way, the Pop Photo review of this lens was very favorable, and I
happen to agree:)

Best wishes
Dan States