Subject: Re: [Leica] design 2
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 09:04:13 -0400

D Khong wrote:

> The whole dictum boils down to: You get what you pay for and that depends
> on one's budget and requirements. Right now I am very happy with my 25/4
> Skopar. I am actually waiting for the Voitglander 28/1.9 to come on stage.
> I am aware that Leica makes a better 28/2 lens but as far as I am
> concerned, the lower price of the Voitglander will make it worthwhile for
> me to get it in preference to the 28 Summicron. It would be unrealistic for
> me to expect the Voitglander to perform on par with the 28 summicron.  For
> my style of photography and my needs as far as a 28mm lens is concerned,
> the Voigtlander fits the bill.
>
> Dan K.

Actually, it goes a step or two further than that. If Tom A.s real world
testing is to be believed - and why not? - 28 1.9 Cosina is damn close
to the Summicron in everything except cost. So unless one is a
rocks-and-barns-tripod-100as-slide-shooter, it seems illogical to spend
the extra $1500 for a margin of difference one will never see in real
world shooting. Sure, if money is absolutely no object, then what the
heck, there is certainly no question the Leica lens is built better. But
if money plays any part in decision making, the choice is pretty much a
no-brainer. ;-)

B. D.

Replies: Reply from "Rob Studdert" <audiob@ozemail.com.au> ([Leica] Re: design 2)