Subject: [Leica] Re: New 50mm Elmar
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 03:14:46 -0400

2001-04-09-01:55:26 Craig Semetko:
> Does anybody have experience with the new 50mm elmar? I have a 50 Summilux
> but am considering the Elmar for walk around daytime use. [...] How
> is the performance?

I happen to like the way its images look, but note that it isn't a
very convenient universal-use choice:

 - since you won't want to use it (or any lens) without a shade, and
   because its shade screws in, you won't want to take it off -- it's
   too time-consuming to screw back in.  And since the shade doesn't
   collapse, there's some of the compactness you thought you'd gained
   burned up.

 - Extending the lens is an extra step you'll resent if you try to get
   the camera from stowed to usable condition quickly.

 - Because of the logarithmic aperture scale, half-stops are available
   only between the widest-open few apertures.

Having said all that -- go ahead and buy one, especially if you're
itching to.  It's a sweet little lens.  To my eye, it certainly gets
along well with Tri-X.

Even though a Summicron is more practical in every way.  And there's
much to be said for just sticking with your Summilux.

Replies: Reply from Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net> ([Leica] Re: New 50mm Elmar)