Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: what's the point of a leica pinhole???
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 13:37:57 -0400

Actually, the focal length would be from the  plane of the pin-hole to the
film plane- I made a pinhole in a piece of shim brass, and then trimed it to
fit and old 39mm filter ring. The thread is not the same as the camera, but
it holds on enough for the use of the pin hole. The distance in this case is
about 42mm, so it is pretty much like a normal lens as far as perspective is
concerned.
Incidentally, the best pin holes I have made were by taking a piece of .030"
shim brass- I got it at the local Ace Hardare!, and taking a sewing  machine
needle- the 'ball point' kind that is used for sewing polyester. The point
is not so much 'sharp' as rounded as these needles were designed to open up
the fabric and go between the fibres instead of going through them-
something about maitaining the elasticity of the fabric's seams. The needles
of this type are superb for making pin holes
You take a piece of the shim brass, and lay it on a scrap of hard wood- I
have a little piece of oak that I use for various things around the house,
and it works fine.
Lay the brass on the wood, and make a 'dimple' in the metal- like a tiny
repoussee dot, and don't go all the way through!
Now take the piece of brass, turn it over so the dimple is now a small bump,
point ing up. You can then take a piece of 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper, and
with a light circular motion, start sanding the bump off the metal surface.
You will get a pinhole and it will have a knife edge, very thin and the
refraction will be a lot better than just poking a hole in it, or drilling
which makes the hole like a 'tube' through the metal, and the image is not
very well defined as a result. When you finish, examine the hole- it should
be as round as possible, and you may have to take three or four stabs at it
before you get one with smooth round edges without burrs!

It is pretty much an experiment in refraction, and the images are really
soft with a 35mm camera, but it is a fun way to fritter away an afternoon!

Happy long exposure snaps!!

Dan