Subject: [Leica] Jupiter 9 Lens Hoods
From: "Michael E. Bérubé" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 12:32:15 -0400

A puzzle for all the empirical engineer type minds on the list...

On advice from the LUG, I found that the front threads of my Jupiter 9 are
49mm. I looked yesterday at all of my local shops in the used bin and new
racks for a lens hood and all of them are flared to too wide a diameter and
block half of the 90 frame in my Bessa's VF. I really don't want to use an
aux finder for a lens with a built in frame in camera so have decided to
make my own hood with a 49mm UV filter (glass removed) and some non tapered
dark metallic 50mm (or so) tubular material.

My question is does anyone know from experience or formula, how far the
hood should extend from the front element to provide maximum shade, without
intruding on the image and darkening my corners?
Thanks.

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube
http://www.GoodPhotos.com