Subject: RE: [Leica] hassy question
From: "Derek Zeanah" <derek@zeanah.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 23:52:18 -0400

>If I was going to buy a used hassy what should I get? I want sheer
>bang for buck. I like WLFs and lenses around 50-150mm in this format.

A 500C or 500 C/M, used.  For lenses, stick to the T* C lenses for maximum
performance/dollar.  For backs, the old manual 12's work great, if not as
quickly as the A series backs.  No real difference between Hasselblad backs
other than convenience.  Get a Maxwell screen (I've got a Beattie.  Wish I
had a Maxwell.)

>Lenses as fast as possible.

Not really possible with the C series lenses.  The lenses made for a focal
plane bodies are faster, but then you're talking about serious cash...

>And what do you have to look out for buying used??

Backs: make sure the insert matches, watch for light leaks.

Lenses: the normal stuff -- check the glass, the mechanics, shutter speeds,
etc.

Bodies: forget it -- get a CLA (at the same time you have your Maxwell
screen installed -- great guy, *really* competent, kind of slow).  Hell, buy
used, CLA *everything*, and use the system in good health.  (You'd be
surprised what could go wrong on one of these.  Seal between the back two
"shutters," foam under the mirror, alignment of the focusing screen...)

Worth getting in to.  Just make sure you get everything checked out by a
*good* repairman.