Subject: Re: [Leica] NEED ADVISE FOR FILM TANK
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 20:42:18 -0500

I've used Paterson tanks and reels for about 30 years now, with no real
complaints.  The reels load easily (I have taken to fishing the leaders out of
the cassettes and trimming them square with beveled corners before turning out
the lights for loading but you'd do this in the dark anyway and it's easier for
me to do it with the lights on.)  The Paterson tanks load and empty very rapidly,
especially the taller ones.  A tank with 2 35mm reels should fill in about 4
seconds, although I think the older style tanks (without the big funnel shaped
top) filled even faster.

I've dipped my film in Photo-Flo after washing for years and have never had a
buildup of any sort of crud on the reels.  They just get an individual rinse
under running water before being put out to dry.

If I were going to go to motorized agitation I'd definitely do the JOBO system,
but for simple hand agitation I think the Patersons are probably better (in part,
of course, because I already own 'em.)

Cheers,
Kip