Subject: [Leica] TTL Flash, pros and cons
From: Herbert & Lee Kanner <kanner@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 12:19:55 -0700

I am interested in getting some opinions on TTL flash.  I am
considering buying the Metz (Leica) unit.  But, is it worth the
price?  I already have a little Vivitar 225 which has a guide number
of 132 ft. for ISO 400 and automatic flash for that film of f 5.6 and
f 11.

I don't know the guide number of the little Leica unit.  I can think
of three advantages it could have: 1) Because it allows all f stops
to be used, it makes fill flash practical despite the limitation on
shutter speed; 2) by the same token, by shooting at f 2, one can have
a quicker quenching of the flash, making it less obtrusive in candid
situations (is this really noticeable?); and 3)   by making use of a
wide open lens possible, it permits differential focusing.
- --
Herbert Kanner
kanner@acm.org
650-326-8204