Subject: [Leica] Leica chat on 28/35 - 70/90 f2.8 vario
From: "Dan Honemann" <danh@selectsa.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:32:14 -0400

R-Nuts:

How are we to reconcile these seemingly contradictory statements from the
recent Leica chat:

- ------

16:40:26 LeicaCameraAG:

Discontinuing of Vario Elmarit 2,8/35-70 -Mechanically,
the lens was a unique and extremely demanding design.
Even after two years of intensive efforts,it proved to be
impossible to simplify the production process for a serial
production.As a result,the delivery of already ordered
lenses would have taken several years without being able to
tell dealers and customers an exact delivery date.This
situation was not acceptable for (and accepted by)our
customers or for us.That ’s why we had to make a clear
decision.

16:57:56 LeicaCameraAG:

28-90mm zoom lens: It would indeed be a very interesting
focal length range and could be realized in a Leica quality.

- ------

I can only imagine they mean a >f2.8 max. aperature for the 28-90.  It's a
shame there cannot be a way to produce a usable f2.8 28-70 R lens as other
manufacturers seem to manage.  I assume the 70-180/2.8 vario-R is still in
production; I wonder how this differs from the 35-70 in terms of production
processes.

In any event, Leica has done a nice job summarizing the chat and I really
look forward to the next one.

Dan