Subject: Re: [Leica] OT was Photoshop! The Leica of...
From: shino@ubspainewebber.com
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 06:31:23 -0400 (EDT)

As Mr. Deadman describes,
the Turing Machine is a theoretical concept, rather than a
physical device like the cotton gin.

Alan Turing was part of the British project to breaking the german
enigma code.

BTW, though i'm no expert in this, i found David Kahn's
*Seizing the Enigma* to be a fascinating book on that subject.
i enjoyed the descriptions of the german code machines; very clever
mechanical devices these were, like some cameras they were making
at the time [ON TOPIC :-)].

- -rei

> just to add a bit more to this - I understand that it was a version of the
> Turing machine which was used to decode messages from the 'Enigma' coding
> machine during WWII.
>
> The centre for receiving these messages was at Bletchley Park .  FWIW
> Bletchley is now part of Milton Keynes - where Leica UK are based - phew had
> to work that in ;-))
>

> I understand that the decoding centre is now open to the public and may have
> a Turing M/c on display - anyone have any more details please?
>
> Regards, Clive Sanbrook

- --
    Rei Shinozuka  shino@painewebber.com  212-713-6256 FAX: 212-713-1482
    PaineWebber   Fixed  Income  Research,     PaineWebber  Incorporated
    1285 Avenue of the Americas,   11th Floor,  New York,  NY 10019-6028
"The  X Consortium  requests that the  following names be used when  referring
 to this software: X,  X Window System, X Version 11, X Window System, Version
 11, X11." (NOT "X-WINDOWS"!!!)      -X man page (parenthetical exegesis mine)