Subject: [Leica] Re: R8 and older lens
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 16:13:04 -0700

I too have used my 60mm macro on my friends R8 without problems.

I believe that what Leica is referring to when they say possible camera
damage is that on some lenses, it is possible for the back of the lens to
rub the ROM contacts in the camera and over a period of mounting and
dismounting, finally damage the camera ROM contacts. A ROMmed lens has a
slightly difference base plate. Slightly lower metal surface with the ROM
contacts slightly raised so when a ROM lens is mounted, the lens ROM
contacts are the only part that rub and connect with the camera ROM
contacts. I believe that on the majority of non ROM lenses, there is no
contact and therefore no possibility of damage over the long run. One
might, however, occasionally check the camera ROM contacts to insure that
they are not being inadvertently damaged.

Jim