Subject: Re: [Leica] Used SL or SL2
From: Akhil Lal <akhil.lal@bcc.cuny.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:11:28 -0500

Hi Tom,

As the owner of several  SL/SL2's I'd advise against it.
Whilst SL/SL2's are nice to look at, and evoke a much
admiration when displayed in public, the R series handle
much better in actual use. I have two R 7's and would
never again use an SL as a primary camera. Not that
these are bad cameras, but to me (and this is purely
subjective) they have a dated feel. There is not much
the SL/SL2 series can do that the later R series will
not do better. Some users prefer the SL/SL2 finders to
the newer ones so you may wish to look into this for
yourself. The ROM lenses will need to be de-ROMed and
converted to 3 cam - an expensive proposition.

I can only restate that proper way to use an SL2 is to
load it with K'chrome, dress it up in its burgundy ER
case, attach a 50 Summilux (or a 60 Macro Elmarit) and
take it for an occasional Sunday outing in the park.
When you return home, wipe it carefully and put it back
in its original cardboard box on your display shelf. In
other words, treat it as you would a cherished classic
car. For this sort of occasional use I can strongly
recommend the SL Munich Olympics Special, the Mots
(without motor drive, of course) and the 50 Year models
;-).

Regards,
Akhil