Subject: [Leica] Summation of the XTol & Jobo question
From: "Chris Quinn" <cquinn@mail.sjcsf.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 19:10:58 -0700

Thanks to all who responded to my original query on XTol & Jobo. From the
response, it is clear that I failed to phrase my question properly, which
seems to be:

Everyone loves XTol (OK, OK, not Everybody...), but everytime it's
mentioned, it's mentioned with reference to a Jobo processor; is there
something about the XTol that requires such consistency? Will developing
with XTol by hand only leave me frustrated and with batches and batches of
bad film?

The answers which I did get regarding the processors were almost uniformly
positive (only one said that his CPE-2 was 'a little flimsy'). Everyone
recommended the lift as the best accessory. Everyone recommended moving up a
notch to full automation (if possible, which seems to be the big IF).

A few of you said there was no need to buy a processor if B&W was the sole
purpose; all others were enthusiastic about their Jobos regardless of the
application.

My first experience with XTol was right when it came out, and the results
were so appalling that I went back to my TMax, with which I was comfortable.
One individual remembered that there were some problems right at the
beginning with the 1L packet, which makes me feel better about giving it
another go.

Most felt that the 1:3 ratio was the best for developing, and referred me to
Mark Rabiner as the guru/fanatic for this ratio (Mark? Couldn't find
anything specific on your site...). Maybe just search the LUG archives.

One individual did mention that consistency with the TMax films is
essential, i.e., buy the Jobo. Any other input on film/developer combos
which are so finicky? That are worth the finickiness? Further input &
clarification would be, as ever, appreciated.

Anyway, thanks to all who participated in the conversation. Hope the recap
helps.

CQ