Subject: [Leica] Re: 12524 hood on 35 Summilux?
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 05:47:32 +1000

D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg> wrote:

>> Can anyone tell me if the 12524 "rectangular" 35mm
>> Summicron lens hood can be used without vignetting on
>> the pre-aspheric 35 Summilux?
>
> My 35 summilux does not have the groove to keep a rectangular hood
> horizontal. In practice such a hood will rotate around its central
> axis and this could produce vignetting.

Before getting the B+W rubber lens hood for my 50mm M Summicron,
I used to use the 12524 hard hood.  Like Dan K pointed out, although
the hood would mount okay, there was no notches in the lens barrel
groove to stop the hood from rotating about the lens.

Finally solved the problem by putting a very thin sliver of gaff
tape inside the lens groove.  This tape - which filled the groove -
would provide enough grip for the lens hood prongs to dig into.

Result - a secure hood mount and no more hood rotation!

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth

<http://4020.net>    -> photos, 360° panoramic vrs, sounds
<http://nemeng.com>  -> vr java applets, leica faq, tech info