Subject: [Leica] Rapidwinder vs Motor M
From: "A. H. Ongun" <ahongun@ecsysinc.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:46:27 -0800

I was at Samy's of LA today stocking up prior to another trip.  I stopped at
the candy store upstairs when I noticed a Motor M on an M6.  They had
received 23 a couple of days earlier and were down to two.  Now they have
one left.

I just finished reading the manual and one thing is different from Tom's
post.

 Another diffrence that I find important is that
> you decide
> when to advance. Sometimes it is prudent not to advance after a shot -
> particularly if you are shooting in an area where the subjects
> might object.
> The battery powered winder will advance after every exposure and
> although it
> is quiet (as motorwinders go), it has a distinct noise to it.

The Motor M has a three way dial on the side. Off, 1.5 frames/sec, 3
frames/sec.  When it is in "Off" position you can press the shutter and
advance the film manually (or not) as you normally would on a camera without
the Winder.

>and I have some
> doubts about the
> strength of the battery holder/grip part. Any grip on an M-camera
> should be
> able to hold a body and a heavy lens (Noctilux/Summilux 75).
> Leica has not
> allowed me to test if it can do this.

I haven't shaken the body hard with the grip and the 90mm APO lens on (and
normally I wouldn't do it anyway), but at least as far as usage is concerned
I don't feel any problems.  Of course, I am not doing any stress tests here.

Regards,

Andy