Subject: Re: [Leica] snapshot! insult or compliment?
From: "Michael E. Bérubé" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 23:05:27 -0500

At 06:23 PM 3/21/01 -0800, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>I'm trying to figure out just how bad of an insult calling someones images an
>snapshot is.
>  snapshot (n.)
>1. an informal photograph, esp. one taken quickly by a hand-held camera.
>2. Hunting. a quick shot taken without deliberate aim.
>3. Informal. a brief appraisal, summary, or profile.
>4. to photograph informally and quickly.

Snapshot to my mind has always followed the definition of #2 above (which
itself should be a crime for being the epitome of irresponsibility and
cruelty...Hunters don't take snapshots...slob Poachers do...but I digress.)

Of course, I DO take snapshots for fun and family, but never for profit or
with any of my cameras that have real exposure controls. The Digilux or
Stylus are my preferred snapshot cameras. Calling the images of someone who
works at learning photography "snapshots" would amount to a negative
critique in my opinion (it may even be true in any given case, but it is
certainly not complimentary.)

As always though, definitions vary. (eg. It all depends on what the meaning
of the word "is" is.) :)

"Let me set the record straight right now...I did NOT take a snapshot of
THAT woman..."

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Bérubé