Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: 35mm M Summicron ASPH lens-flare
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:06:58 -0500

John...

	There are some very good reasons, in addition to savings, for buying
the pre-aspheric 35 Summicron.  I own and use both the aspherical (second
version) and spherical (vintage '86) lenses.  I use the spherical expression
more often.  This is because I value small, light equipment and an M6 with
the spherical will easily slip into a jacket pocket.  I do not want to
ignite a bokeh war, but I like the over-all look of the spherical better for
many pictures...perhaps this is because the spherical has a dozen diaphragm
blades and the aspherical two fewer, but the images are different to my eye.
Who knows?  Even at f2.0, the spherical is very sharp...sharper at least
than my shaky hands deserve.  Don't get me wrong, the aspherical is a fine
lens...certainly snappier than the spherical at f2.0.  Flare?  Flare is so
rarely an issue that I don't worry about it unless I WANT to use flare as an
element of the photograph.

	Nota bene, I am not a collector, just the father of two who will let
my kids fight this battle for many years after I am gone.  My son and
daughter will be posting their opinions on the two lenses in about twenty
years.

	Buzz Hausner