Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V19 #226
From: Craig Semetko <csemetko@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:07:26 -0800

> Ah, actually, I just wanted to know if HBC said, "Photography doesn't
> interest me, people do." And if so, in what publication?
>
> Thanks
>
> Craig
>>>>

> Craig, I didn't mean to stamp on you! But it did surprise me that such an
> outrageous statement about prostitution could pass without comment even
> here. Obviously I wasn't attributing the sentiment to you personally.
>
> Funnily enough, I think HCB was _not_ very interested in people. SP in
> general is pretty much motivated by formal concerns, which is what makes it
> so different from documentary. He expressed an interest in grabbing the
> essence of "life" - which sounds pretty abstract to me. His absurd and
> pretentious habit of holding pictures upside down to judge the "composition"
> confirms this, I think.
>
> I don't believe HCB ever did the kind of in depth documentary stuff that
> this statement of his would lead us to be believe. If MEM had said it, or
> DAH or (pace BD) Sally Mann, I could believe it, but not HCB.
>
> Didn't he also say that photography was rubbish? Maybe he felt threatened by
> the large number of at least equally talented people in the business, and
> had to set himself apart by holding a paradoxical distance from the very
> thing that made him what he is, instead of a very mediocre painter.
>
> I first started taking pictures years ago after seing a book of his
> portraits and owe him at least that initial inspiration. But by now I
> wouldn't miss it if I never heard his name or saw another of his snaps
> again.
>
> Rob.
>
> Robert Appleby
> http://www.robertappleby.com

Thanks Rob,

No problem, didn't feel stamped on. I was just trying to settle a bet with a
friend. I could've swore I read that quote by HCB somewhere, and my friend
didn't think he said it. I guess nobody on the list knows for sure whether
or not he said it, or if it's at least attributable to him, so I'll just
tell my friend he said it and win the bet. Sounds fair, huh?

Craig

Replies: Reply from Sonny Carter <cartersn@nsula.edu> ([Leica] Re: HCB quote)