Subject: Re: [Leica] How Good/Desirable is the 70-210 f3.5 Angenieux?
From: Cmrausr@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:24:01 EST

In a message dated 3/14/01 9:51:40 AM, peterlinj@yahoo.com writes:

>I am thinking about possibly purchasing this lens from
>an acquaintance--just how good is this item?  Thanks
>all.

Jeffrey,

I just bought one of these lenses and haven't had time to put much film
through it yet, but I am told that the quality is excellent. I went to the
Photodo lens test site before I bought the lens, which has the lens listed in
a Nikon mount. They were sold in Nikon and Canon versions as well. It was
rated as a 3.9, which is a slightly higher rating than the pre asph 180/2.8.
I believe the Leica 70-210/4 zoom was listed at 3.3. I've seen it used in the
$600-700 range.The current 80-200/4 is rated at 4.2, and is around $1600.00
new.

The Angenieux seems well made, is relatively light weight, and focuses to
1:2.5 at 210mm. Plus you get that extra half stop over an f4 lens. It
operates flawlessly on my R6 and R8. Mine is very smooth in operation. If you
like the way the lens handles, and the price is right, go for it.

Scott Stewart