Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: A REPLACEMENT TOPIC
From: "Michael E. Bérubé" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 19:42:19 -0500

At 10:50 PM 3/10/01 +0100, you wrote:
>On 10 Mar 2001, at 16:00, Michael E. Bérubé wrote:
> >  ...ignoring this common sense rule ...
>
>It may be common, but it doesn't make much sense. Being as
>naked as the day one was born in rarely provocative.

As a Pagan, I understand this entirely. Nudity need not mean sexual
promiscuity, but given the current climate and state of Law here in the
States regarding photographs of persons uncloth-ed, any photographer
attempting to shoot underage persons nude (with parental permission or not)
is asking to have their life ruined. It makes more sense to just avoid the
situation all together.

>Fully dress a child as one would perceive a prostitute of either sex, and
>you'd
>provoke more.

Certainly, hence my comments regarding sexual provocative in my post. I
routinely refuse portrait sessions where the parents wish me to photograph
their preschool-junior high school girls as "little beauty queens" for
modeling/competition portfolios. As a parent I find it as morally repugnant
as more blatant child-porn. (maybe even worse because it is more prolific.)

>I'd champion anyone who is protraying nakedness as simply unclothed.

I also champion anyone promoting the idea that nakedness is not congruent
to provocative sexuality and would like to see a general cultural shift
toward a life less puritanical in that respect. Until the culture does
change, however, so that the status quo is of the same mind as you and I, a
professional photographer is foolish to push the envelope in this arena and
not to expect problems. (Especially since the issue is extra charged with
the protective second nature of most adults toward our children.)

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Bérubé

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from
disinclination to do so." -- Douglas Adams, "Last Chance to See"