Subject: [Leica] Fw: Those fast 180 R lenses
From: "Chris Quinn" <cquinn@mail.sjcsf.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 08:50:51 -0700

New Lugger here (though I've been lurking for a few weeks), with a few
questions about the two APO 180s. I do a lot of performance photography
(photographing other people performing, not performing with the camera,
thank you), and I'd like to pick up a fast 180 capable of taking both
tele-extenders.

Questions like this: Leica publishes conflicting information regarding the
compatibility of the 180f2 with the 1.4xApo: in the R8 publication, it says
the 1.4x was designed for lenses faster than f2, therefore 'users should
stop the Summicron down by 1 or 2 stops'  when using this extender. In the
current 'Leica Program,' no such restriction is mentioned. If I remember,
Mr. Grant said that he regularly uses the 180 APO-Tele Summicron with BOTH
extenders, stacked (did I get that right?). Does anyone else have experience
with this piece of glass? Could Mr. Grant describe again the results? And
the results with just the 1.4x? My recollection from having shot with
extenders is that, at high shutter speeds with the lens wide open, the
peculiar phenomenon of uneven exposure across the image (not just
vignetting, which also occurs with inferior combinations) can really muck up
an otherwise acceptable image.

I already checked with Leica, and they confessed that the 180f2.8APO
Tele-Elmarit is not capable of accepting the 1.4x because of the extension
of the extender into elements within the lens (although the previous,
non-APO 180f2.8 could handle the 1.4x, right? OK, how does this lens compare
with the APOs?).

And my final question, which is not intended to question the divinity of Mr.
Puts, whose incredible efforts I greatly appreciate: is the 180f2   really
and truly   incapable of being hand-held? If the 280f2.8 was capable of it
(it came with a palm-rest, no?), wouldn't the 180f2 also be managable? With
a palm rest? A shoulder-stock? Not even with a monopod? Does anyone have
experience with it hand-held? I'm not a body-builder (this lens could change
that), but I have enough experience as a target-shooter (3 position .22
rifle) to know how to manage my breathing/heartbeat/trigger-release....

And my final, final question: where could I handle one of these? I'm down in
the Southwest US, and the chances of finding a dealer with one of these on
the shelf is minimal.... Suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Replies: Reply from Lucien <director@ubi.edu> (Re: [Leica] Fw: Those fast 180 R lenses)
Reply from "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com> (Re: [Leica] Fw: Those fast 180 R lenses)