Subject: RE: [Leica] OT: Hewes reels revisited
From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 20:12:01 -0500

> Now that's something I never considered.  You mean you leave
> the film in its
> cannister when loading your reels, then cut when you get to the
> end?

That is exactly what I do.  I found it decreases film scratching
significantly.  You do have to be careful not to let the film out too far,
or it gets twisted, and can scratch that way.

It also makes it easier to cut the leader off and 45 bevel the edges (for my
reels) in daylight.  My RTS III leaves the leader out, and with my M6, I
have to listen to the rewind and keep the leader out...or I get to fish it
out later...