Subject: RE: [Leica] loony for chrome?
From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:28:26 -0500

> On the one hand, you write that you are not
> interested in the aesthetic quality of things, on the other, you claim to
> see utilitarian objects as mere fashion items. Your arguement doesn't make

Oh, while we're on the topic of spelling...argument is spelled argument ;-)

> any sense and your point - if there is one - is inconsistent.

BS.  I never said one can't consider fashion, but to endlessly obsess over
it is foolish, in my opinion, especially when it comes to satin or black or
black paint on a camera body...

> Why did you choose the black finish? What motivated that decision?

I LIKE black for a Leica.  I LIKE chocolate ice cream.  I do not like beets.
I do not like the cold.  I like thunder storms.  I don't analyze why...I
just do.

> >I am mentally masturbating over a non-TTL M6, or a TTL M6, simply because
> >the shutter speed dials rotate in the opposite direction, and I tend to
> >change it blindly...
>
> Here, you're wrong again, according to your own (erroneous) definition of
> fashion: the differences between the shutter speed dials of TTL
> and non-TTL
> M6s are functional, not aesthetic in nature.

Wrong?  About what?  I never said the speed dial was a fashion issue, and
they do turn in opposite directions.  Fashion is not the exclusivity of
mental masturbation, function can be too.  Where is this definition of
fashion you claim I gave?

> I'm beginning to see Jim Brick's point here: I get the impression that you
> responded to my post without really having bothered to read it thoroughly,
> and your circular arguement doesn't really add anything to the already
> stated positions of the discussion.

Leave Jim and his comments out of this.  His last comment on list was
unfounded, and your following on with it is also.  You should read my posts,
my arguments are not circular, and my position is clearly stated.  Make sure
it is my comments you are reading BTW, not some one else's.