Subject: [Leica] OT: Hewes reels revisited
From: "Dan Honemann" <danh@selectsa.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:58:36 -0500

Okay, fellow Hewes fans,

Please send me any and all tips you have for loading these reels.  I've
already mangled two rolls, and now I'm gun shy (never had any problems with
the plastic reels).

The problem for me is getting tactile feedback on the loading in the dark:
the only way I know I've botched it (typically) is if it gets stuck, or if I
wind up running out of reel before all of the film is loaded.  In both
cases, I find it impossible to recover.

I've been practicing to the point where I can load my practice roll fairly
consistently in the light; in the dark, it's still a 50-50 proposition for
me, which isn't nearly good enough.  I need to get to 100%.

The only tip I know is to curve the film slightly between thumb and
forefinger of the right hand while turning the reel in the left.  Any other
magical method I don't know about besides just doing this a thousand times
till I get more comfortable with it?

Thanks,
Dan

Replies: Reply from Bill Satterfield <cwsat@istate.net> (Re: [Leica] OT: Hewes reels revisited)