Subject: Re: [Leica] can't shoot with 75mm
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:20:10 -0800

Hi B.D.
I had a 75mm 1.4 and used it for a short time before going on assignment to
Russia where I spent several weeks with medical professionals and children
of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster.

During that time I used the 75 extensively and once in a while I had a belly
twitch that the M6 rangefinder wasn't doing justice to what I saw, focused
on and shot!

However, I tried to be extra careful, well tried to be, with the viewfinder
indicating the 75 framelines. Well being careful in the confusion of the
framelines between 50 and 75 or whatever, I screwed up many irreplaceable
images chopping heads and other dumb ass things. Of course one doesn't find
this out until you're home and souping film to find the error of your ways.
:-(

I couldn't get rid of the damn lens fast enough! Sure I know the error was
the photographer handling the camera, but the frame lines are so damn
convoluted that it's very easy to screw up during the heat of battle.

All the head stuff shot with the R7s at the time using a an 80 1.4 were
right on the mark and never lost one. But roll after roll of the 75 on the M
was a disaster!

I rarely use an M camera with anything longer than a 50, the Noctilux,
occasionally a 90 Summicron f 2.0.  Actually I could sell the 90mm and not
miss it at all, however there is the odd time when it comes in handy.

After that shoot I swore anything longer than a 50 was going to happen on
the R cameras, as that's the safest way to make sure when you shoot tight
frames the image is absolutely what you see is what you get.

Yep the 75 is a nice lens, no question, but not for this shooter on an M
camera.
ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant