Subject: Re: [Leica] Process and scanning to CD for wedding question
From: MEBérubé <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:22:48 -0500

Simon,

I use a local pro lab to process and print my weddings. Average cost to
process and print is about $15/roll 35 and $20/roll 220.

The main problem with having your rolls scanned to CD for presentation to a
couple is that you loose your ability to control the images which they will
see. Personally, I include the negatives for the couple in the price of
their wedding, BUT before they see image one, I edit ANYTHING that would
reflect poorly on my services to folks who may see the end product. When
you have a lab scan all of your images to CD they scan ALL of the images
and you don't get to choose without considerable costs to have the negs
custom scanned.

A solution that I will be trying this year is to get an Iomega CD burner
(about $200) and burn my own CDs for an added price for the couple. In most
cases they just want the ability to email some shots to family and friends
who couldn't make the ceremony. Scanning even the prints and burning them
to CD myself will offer top web quality images and keep me in control of
the process. In the past I've scanned a few choice shots by request and
passed them on myself to the couple via email and we just skipped the CD part.

That's how I deal with it for the 15-20 or so weddings I shoot in the
average year.
Carpe Luminem,
Michael