Subject: Re: Vs: [Leica] That Japanese 21mm
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:41:57 +0200

>Tom A told me to wait for the upcoming Cosina/Voigtländer 21 mm. The
>Adorama/etc. has tested extremely well, only slightly inferior to
>the Elmarit ASPH.
>All the best!

I have got the Cosina/Voigtländer 15 mm ASPH and an old non ASPH
Leitz Elmarit-M 21mm that I bought used from a LUGger. I am aware of
the raving test reports the Voigländer lens got in just about every
magazine, but it does not come close to the old Leitz 21mm in real
life. The fine details just are not there. If the 15 mm Voigländer is
an indication of what the 21 mm Voigländer will be, then I can only
advise you to get get a used Elmairt - even if it is more expensive.
And even if Voigländer is ASPH and Leitz is not.

One other piece of advice: if you have a set of non-ASPH lenses, do
not get yourself  an ASPH Leitz lens. It will cost you a fortune! Not
for that first lens, no, for all the ASPH ones you fell you need to
buy to replace your non-ASPH ones.

Chris
- --
Christer Almqvist