Subject: Re: [Leica] OT- German film prices
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:48:02 +0200

Oliver: let me expand a bit on Nathan's reply. Shop prices vary
widely on b+w films. You will be able to get the prices Nathan
mentioned (and even lower) also in a store, if you find the right
one. The other day I went to a very large white and brown (hi-fi)
goods discounter and he charged 9,95 for 36 exposure films, except
for the 3200 where he asked  for 14,95 Dmark. He obviously does not
want to sell film. All prices include VAT, in fact it is illegal to
advertise prices without VAT if the advertisment is directed to a
consumer. All window prices thus include VAT. Taking about law, it
has been illegal to offer more than a 3% discount except in special
cases, but this law is being abolished and everybody is asking for a
discount these days. There has always been ways around this law,
provided the seller was willing, otherwise it was a good argument for
him. A free roll if you buy ten is usually possible unless the price
is really low to start with. Look for photo shops in the yellow
pages, see which seem to be large and good, and call them for prices.
If they don't quote over the phone, do not bother to go.

When in Berlin go to the photo gallery in the Kantstrasse. I am sorry
I have not got the house number, but it is between Savignyplatz
(nearest subway station) and the Stilwerk design shopping complex,
more or less opposite Stilwerk. You walk through the doorway, and it
is in the house at the back. Covers three of four floors, loft like
thing. Every time I have been there they have had a great exhibition.
And when you are there got to the Paris Bar, not quite what you first
think, rather a 1930 style bar restaurant with intellectual looking
guests. You can have a very good meal with wine there for the cost of
about ten Tri-X, or just a glass of something for the cost of a
single film. (There are no 24 exposure 35 mm Tri-X readily available
in Germany.)

Have fun,
Chris

>I'll probably go to Berlin in a couple of months. Can one of our European
>correspondents give me an idea of what I can expect to pay for Tri-X/24 and
>Tri-X/36 in Berlin (DM or Euro)? Does that price include VAT or sales tax?
>Is it customary to get a discount for, say, 10 or more rolls? Thanks in
>advance, Oliver Bryk

- --
Christer Almqvist
D-20255 Hamburg, Germany and/or