Subject: RE: [Leica] how...NOW
From: MEBérubé <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 16:02:59 -0500

At 02:48 PM 2/8/01 -0500, Tina wrote:
>Y'all are giving me a headache!  If I had to think that hard about depth
>of field before I took a picture, I would never take one.  Open up for
>shallow depth of field, close down for greater depth of field.  That's all!

Possibly the most common scenical piece of advise given in the thread so
far, Ma'am.

I gave up working it all out after the last time we dove into the topic a
few months ago. The more esoteric arcana of light theory was interesting in
photo school when I still thought it would be useful. However, much like
training in sensitometry, densitometry, plotting Gamma and all that for the
mighty mighty Versamat processor and setting up and operating the ES-82A (a
mobile lab mounted on a 2.5 ton truck), such stuff is probably good to
learn just because "it builds character," (as the instructors were wont to
say) but I can't say that I ever actually stopped to use any of this
detailed info whilst actually in the field shooting in the last 16
years...of course I'm young yet, maybe it will crop up sometime and I'll
need to know the exact nm range for the colour blue.

Thanks Tina.
MeB

Message from Henry Ambrose <digphoto@telalink.net> (RE: [Leica] how can the 75 Lux focus go bad? NOW - DOF)