Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Re: how can the 75 Lux focus go bad?
From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 22:17:52 -0500

> >I believe you use the 75/1.4 quite frequently.  What do your
> images show as
> >the DOF at 1.4?
> >

> It is rather difficult to measure distance in a 2D print. I
> have a tulip,
> photographed at f/1.4, at the closest focusing of my 75mm
> lens (~2'.) The
> DOF is at best, the thickness of the surface skin (cells, protoplasm,
> whatever) of the tulip. I would measure this as a few
> thousandths of an inch.

I find that simply amazing.  As I said, this is my primary lense, and I have
thousands of images shot at ~3' and the DOF on ones I looked at tonight show
at least 1" or more, and the subject matter has detail enough (clothing
texture) to easily show this detail.

I'll have to go find a tulip...but that'll have to wait a few months...since
we just got 2' of snow...