Subject: Re: [Leica] STOP WORRYING ABOUT YOUR LEICAS
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 08:05:13 +1100

>  The Leica M is a remarkably solid camera. I have dropped them, stepped on
>them, hit doors (car doors are the main culprit), punched out the windshield
>of a Ford with a Noctilux/M6 combo (fixed the sticky sliding hood on the
>Noctilux, it worked much better after that). There is no rhyme and reason
>when the rangefinder goes out. A small fall from a table on to a carpeted
>floor can knock the rangefinder out, while a drop down a flight of stairs
>might rearrange the controls on the camera, but leave the rangefinder intact!
>Any knock on the short end of the housing is most likely to knock the
>rangefinder out, while direct hits on the top-plate or baseplate leaves it
>unaffected. A friend of mine slammed the door on his car over his M4-2. The
>Rapidwinder had a nasty dent in it and the top-plate had a creative crease
>across the top. Rangefinder remained perfect and the rewind crank could be
>bent back with a pair of pliers. The cardoor was bent sufficiently to create
>a whistling sound when driven! If you baby your M's, you loose too many
>shots! My biggest problem is not rangefinders being whacked out of alignment,
>it is the rewind cranks on M4's and later cameras (until the Millenium M6)
>being bent or jammed. Maybe there is a market for a high strength rewind
>crank for the M6 or even the extended, knurled one that's on the NASA M4's.
>Tom A

I have not had a problem with M misalignment in the 5 years I've used
mine, but I sure had problems with the X-Pan after 5 days --- I had
it fixed under warranty, but it is not a simple job, and I've had to
treat the thing with cotton gloves ever since.

Cheers
- --
Alastair Firkin

http://www.afirkin.com