Subject: [Leica] Re: Hexar Rangefinder accuracy with Leica Lenses
From: Cummer Family <cummer@asiaonline.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 18:04:57 +0800

Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 23:04:59 -0500 "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu>
wrote
Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Min. focus accuracy of Leica lenses and the Hexar RF
>Wouldn't decision to put the film plane 0.01mm back (which may be optically
>insignificant since LTM spec is +/- .02mm or more - and if such a difference
>even exists)  reflect a decision to induce the user to focus *closer* rather
>than farther?  This would at least theoretically increase usable DOF.
This >may
>be a workaround for a low-magnification finder where you may be in danger of
>overshooting the focus point.  Focusing behind a subject is disastrous for
>sharpness, since you always get less DOF in front than behind the focus
point.
Dear Luggers,
I think that 0.01mm is so miniscule that for most (all?) focusing
situations it wouldn't make any difference. Surely depth of field would
cover most focusing errors as it does on inaccuately adjusted rangefinders
on M6's and Bessa Rs. Now if you are putting a Noctilux (or a 75 summilux)
on a Hexar RF of course you may be asking for trouble - a Noctilux as
everyone on the LUG knows should only be used with an M3 an M6J an M6HM or
M6HMTTL. The few times I have tried Tom A's or Joseph's Noctilux on my
cameras (including a CLE) I never could get accurate focusing wide open -
but I blame old eyes and lack of depth of field for my problems. I have for
years used Leica lenses on my Minolta CLEs and have been able to focus even
a 90 mm Elmarit although Leica tells you the cams are not compatible and
Minolta says you should use their Rokkor 90 f4.0 (which was for awhile
actually made by Leica in a strange bit of reverse out sourcing). Point of
this rambling - unless you are going to shoot only wide open always and
with fast lenses only - the Hexar RF should work fine especially for wide
angle lenses for which the veiwfinder is really designed. If it doesn't
then, of course, you can get it adjusted, which, according to Dr. Yao, can
be done here in Hong Kong in five minutes at the Konica repair depot. My
personal view is that the Konica is a viable alternative to the Leica 0.58,
if you want to try aperure priority and autowind. Of course, I haven't
bought one yet so I am not yet putting my money where my mouth is  . . . . .
Howard (clutching his old beloved CLE to his chest)