Subject: Re: [Leica] New Leica Screw Mount Lenses
From: Andrew Moore <dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:04:01 -0500 (EST)

> Is there any difference in performance between a current Leica M 1.4
> Summilux or 2.0 Summicron and a current screwmount with an M adapter? Is an
> original Leica screw to M adapter more desireable than a new Voightlander?
> Are mint Leica screw to M adapters available? Thanks for you responses.

"Well, that all depends on how you define the word performance."!

I think the glass is all the same as on the M versions.

hoods: I think the lens hood on the screwmount 35/2 ASPH is different from
that of the M version, so maybe that would affect performance somehow, but
I believe the optics are the same.  For the 50's, I know the Summicron has
the same telescoping hood as the M version, and not sure about the
Summilux.

focusing distance: this may be wrong but I think the minimum
focusing distance is limited to 1 meter, not 0.7 meters as it is
on the M lenses.  You may consider this "performance."

Several users reported that the screwmount lenses don't align in an
aesthetically pleasing way when screwed in all the way (i.e., what one
might consider the top of the barrel according to the engravings doesn't
end up at the 12-oclock position on the lens mount).

Several users reported that the new chrome doesn't match the chrome of the
older bodies.

But to answer your question, performance is basically the same.

- --Andrew