Subject: [Leica] Filters
From: "Stuart Boyd" <shortymx@compaq.net.mx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:25:17 -0600

I've been following the discussions on the use of filters in B&W work. I
don't want to beat a dead horse, however I think it may be useful to anyone
wishing to truly understand the use of filters to read (or re-read) a good
book on filter selection such as the Kodak publication, or the Schneider
Optics pamphlets on filters.  Remember that MOST of the reds, blues,
yellows,and green filters for B&W are considered contrast control filters,
and as such are only intended to control contrast in scenes containing
different colors that appear the same or similar in B&W panchromatic
photography, or because of the limitations of a particular film may not
appear as the eye sees them.  They accomplish this by changing to various
degrees some tones, colors, or hues, and through exposure compensation not
others.

Most of the time it is good to remember that the use of filters should be
restricted to situations where they are truly necessary.

Just my two cents worth.

Stuart Boyd