Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Week 4 is up from SL
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 00:53:27 +1100

>  >
>   Steve LeHuray wrote:
>>>
>>>  All comments and criticism are welcome.
>
>http://www.streetphoto.net/wk4.html
>http://www.streetphoto.net/wk4a.html
>>>

>   Alastair Firkin comments:
>>
>>  Ok, lets get ugly ;-0
>
>I'm ready
>>
>>  I think this is a fine record of events that day, but there are dozens of
>>  these guys all over the world, and they are "too easy" a target --- we (a
>>  large group of LUGNUTS spent some time photographing  them in London last
>>  time I was there). So to make a great image is going to be difficult. Some
>>  how the image needs to rise above just being there.
>
>That may be true in London and other parts of the world, in Washington, DC
>street musicians are a recent addition to a city that only a couple decades
>ago was a sleepy southern town. It is now emerging as a world class city
>with many diverse cultures. So for me this is still a novelty.
>>
>>  You have captured the expressions on the players at a good time, but I (and
>>  its my opinion ) don't like the "big black taxi" crusing between them.
>
>If you look closely you can see on the side of the taxi 'M.Cruze Taxi',
>kinda fits in with the musicians.
>
>>  I need more from this situation. Some of the crowd and their
>>reactions to the
>>  music, or a comic background.
>
>This is only one picture. I was not trying to do a essay.
>
>>  Tough subject in my opinion because it is too easy -- this has always been
>>  my critisism of similar images I've taken in London Melbourne New Orleans
>>  etc.
>
>Of course you can say the same thing about just about any picture taken in
>the last 100 years. Nothing new under the sun.
>  >
>  > cheers
>
>Thank you for the critique.
>  >
>  > Alastair

Steve,

Of course none of it is meant to be nasty and I agree that there is
nothing new in life --- that's what drives me so mad about extended
copyright. I couldn't read the taxi script on the computer I was on,
and so the quirk was missed and I have to agree that its a nice touch.

Keep the images coming -- one guy wrote to me today and just said
"this is the worse photo I've ever seen, and I can't imagine why you
posted it". Fair enough I thought --- with no redeeming features, I
suppose constructive comments are a waste of time ;-)

Cheers to all paw photographers -- it is going to be a hard road.

>  >

- --
Alastair Firkin

http://www.afirkin.com