Subject: Re: [Leica] One of those annoying "Which would you choose" posts....
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:55:26 -0500

on 1/22/01 1:51 PM, MEBerube at MEB@goodphotos.com wrote:

> I had set my sights on a new Cosina Nokton but have since found a lead on a
> fairly nice Summarit.
>
> Has anyone written a comparison out there between the three that any
> LUGgers know of? I poked about in the archives but didn't find any
> comparison between the three. I know this question annoys some of you, but
> would YOU spend $350 or so for the Summarit, spend about the same on a new
> spotless Nokton (under warranty) or just buy more film and use the Jupiter 3?

Can't help you on the Jupiter as I never owned one (a 50, anyway... the 85 I
had was a dog...) but I had Nokton which I traded in for an old chrome
Summilux-50. The Nokton is for you if you prize contrasty, sharp pictures
even wide open and are not particularly worried about the look of the
out-of-focus areas (bokeh). My priorities are different, and I didn't get on
with it. It DEFINITELY doesn't look like a leica lens wide open (even though
it's actually sharper than the M-50/1.4 at full aperture). If you cherish
the Leica 'glow' and very textured bokeh then the Summarit may be for you...
Stephen Holloway has shot some outstanding stuff with it at
www.deepturtle.com. Of course if you buy wisely you can sell the Summarit
for what you paid for it if you don't like it... definitely not the case
with the Nokton. So I'd go for the Summarit and if you hate it bung it on
*bay and make some $$$. Some people even prefer the Summarit to the 50 lux
but they are not sharpness fiends methinks.

The 'rit will certainly be sharper than your Jupiter, incidentally.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com