Subject: Re: [Leica] AF SLR for Leica Users
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 17:39:28 -0500

Terry Sham jotted down the following:

> Canon = Wonderful AF speed, large range of lenses, wonderful IS technology,
> but poor built quality.

Poor build quality?  That's the first I've heard of that.  Given the number
of pros that use Canon EOS stuff, I'm surprised to hear that the build
quality is poor.

I was reseraching AF cameras about a year and a half ago.  That was before
the Minolta 9 and 7 cameras (or at least, before the 7).  At that time, I
would have chosen Canon EOS.  Today, I'd probably still choose Canon EOS,
although Minolta looks interesting.  I'd avoid Nikon for the same reason you
mentioned: cool colour, but also because bokeh is important to me and Canon
lenses seem to consistently perform better with regard to that than Nikon --
with a few exceptions.

Contax MM is obsolete -- their lens line is very limited.  Contax N is new,
but at the moment they seem to be focussing on slow zooms.  Personally, I'd
be most concerned with good primes in an SLR system, and use maybe one or
two zooms as a convienience, but not primary lenses.

When you make the decision, please report what you choose and why.  It might
help others in the future.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | Jonesboro, AR; Denver, CO;
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | Washington, DC; Mount Morris, MI.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         | Bear arms, or bears harm?