Subject: [Leica] 75mm f1.4 Summilux-M - a disaster
From: "William Larsen" <ohlen@sierratel.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 21:42:16 -0800

Guy Bennett from Nuestra Ciuad de la Virgin de Guadalupe ...
writes:>

> For fear of impending economic disaster, I hereby cease
reading all posts
> that sing the praises of the Summilux 75.

Good idea, Guy.  The lens is heavy.  The lens is bulky.  The
lens block part of the viewfinder.  The lens is hard to
focus wide open at close distance.  The lens head doesn't
unscrew to use on a Visoflex.  Rational people support the
M-body by holding it so that the lens supports the weight of
the M-body.  You are always worried that it is going to
rip-out the lugs when you support it with the camera's
strap.  Filter size is nearly unaffordable.

So I have never figured out why I have it dedicated to an
M6hm and use it about 30% of the time.  If I could get
better at low light exposure estimation, I would probably
move it to my M3 and tape down the preview lever so that the
90 and 50 frames lines come up at the same time.  I also use
it on R cameras with an adaptor.  This works out great when
I want a macro (micro?) lens and am not carrying everything
I own.  You want to see incredible quality, try using it as
a macro.  Whatever you do, don't read this and borrow a
75/1.4.  Disaster WILL follow.

Regards, Bill Larsen
from Calilfornia's Heartland

Message from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (RE: [Leica] 75mm f1.4 Summilux-M)