Subject: RE: [Leica] R8 or Autofocus? AF for sure
From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 19:02:39 -0500

> Hi Austin,
> I had a smile at it also, as I started my sports photography using a Speed
> Graphic sans auto focus and won several sports photo of the year awards.
Long
> time ago.

I actually used a TLR for a little while...when I was young and foolish...
Think about a TLR for photographing, say, Hockey...

> However, I think it started me off to learning the sport, a greater sense
of
> anticipation, being more prepared for the action moment and knowing the
sport
> and what was going to happen when and where.

Exactly.  I knew the game, and I knew the players.  I spend a lot of time
with them in the locker rooms, after the games etc.  I got to know exactly
what they were going to do, and as such, got exceptional shots.

> This early experience paid off in later years covering the Olympics,

My sports photography career only went as far as the Russian Women's Olympic
Hockey Team....and some of the Women's Gymnastic competitors.  Not at the
Olympics though.

> bet folks here would be surprised at how many turn off the AF while
shooting.
> :-) But they also know when it's a good idea to turn it on! ;-)

I BET most of them would use Leicas if Leica GAVE the equipment to them ;-)
I don't think Leica has the LONG glass that Cannon does though.

Replies: Reply from Ted <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] R8 or Autofocus? AF for sure)