Subject: [Leica] Re: The Journey
From: Alan Magayne-Roshak <amr3@csd.uwm.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:52:30 -0600

Tom Finnegan wrote:

> I was about to say something very similiar, but Johnny beat me to it. If the
> journey isn't enjoyable, then before long you're going to get burned out or
> bored with the whole thing, even if you do get the results. Obviously, if
> you are photographing for a living, then the results will have to take
> precedent. But even then, if the journey isn't also enjoyable then you will
> get burned out or it will all just become grinding drudgery. I would bet
> that this is quite common in the pro photo ranks. Yet, it doesn't have to be
> that way.

So true. I'm lucky enough to have photo job where I can experiment, to help
keep from getting burned out.  Using different equipment or techniques
makes for a change of pace, a fresh way of seeing, or of just feeling.
I've even done goofy things like using a 4x5 Graflex with a diffused lens
on jobs, including covering ice motorcycle racing with it, when that's what
would give me an interesting result, and excite me.

Alan Magayne-Roshak
Senior Photographer
Univ. of Wis.-Milwaukee
Photo Services